Geothermal Manufacturing Prize
The American-Made Geothermal Manufacturing Prize (Geothermal Prize) is designed to spur innovation and address manufacturing challenges fundamental to operating in harsh geothermal environments. This prize further supports the ability of the geothermal industry to reach the target of 60 GWe of geothermal capacity by 2050 as outlined in the recently released GeoVision study.
The Geothermal Manufacturing Prize
As part of the American-Made Challenges series, the Geothermal Prize unites the world’s best-in-class research base with the unparalleled entrepreneurial support system of the American-Made Network. Consisting of pioneering maker spaces, dozens of energy incubators, universities, and 17 DOE National Laboratories, the Network is primed to create a sweeping portfolio of innovations to demonstrate the promise of additive manufacturing.
The Prize Structure
The Geothermal Prize is a series of four progressive competitions that harness the rapid advances that additive manufacturing can provide in tool design, fabrication, and functionality. It incentivizes innovators and entrepreneurs to discover new advanced manufacturing solutions. This rapid, scalable approach to prototype development not only provides cash prizes, but also engages America’s unique innovation ecosystem to help participants achieve their goals.Learn about competing in the Geothermal Prize
- Prize Announced: January 2020
- Rules Feedback Request:
- Opened: January, 2020
- Closed: April, 2020
- Ready! Contest closed
- Opened: April 29, 2020
- Closed: August 26, 2020 at 5 p.m. ET
- Ready! Contest winners announced: October 18, 2020
- Set! Contest closed
- Opened: October 18, 2020
- Set! Competitor AM design workshop at the ORNL MDF: November November 4–6, 2020
- Submission deadline: February 17, 2021 at 5 p.m. ET
- Set! Contest winners announced: March 31, 2021
- Make! Contest closed
- Opened: March 31, 2021
- Submission deadline: November 2021
- Make! Contest winners announced and demo day: January 2022
- Geo! Contest
- Opens: January 2022
- Submission deadline: May 2022 anticipated
- Geo! Contest winners announced at live demo day: July 2022 anticipated
Sign up for updates on our HeroX challenge page.
All dates are subject to change including contest openings, deadlines, and announcements.
Solutions that help shape the future
Are you a thinker, entrepreneur, facility or potential partner? Anyone with an innovative idea can help promote transformation by participating in the American-Made Challenges.Ready for the Challenge?